Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

Rick - i disconnected my batt an replaced the ground cable -

Customer Question

Hello rick - i disconnected my batt an replaced the ground cable - now pathfinder 00 crank but dont start!! Any advice
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light on solid?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is solid when all the lights in cluster are on
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

That is a indication that the computer can not read the chip in the key. Do you have another key you can try?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nop only one key
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Then there are only two things we do. First check to see if the chip is still in the key and has not fallen out. See images

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Chip still in
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

Ok, then lets try to get it out of lock mode. If this doesn't work, the only thing left is to have the key reprogrammed.

See image

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are this normal when u disconnect batery and ground cable
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
To reprogram the key - do i need to bring the car?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also - i changed the starter because the car was starting when hot- change the starter and problems still there - what can be-- ignotion relay-- this was started. The key problem -- i think
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

It is not normal for the key to loose it's programming if the battery is disconnected.

But at this point, if the security light turns Solid when the key is in the ON position, the the steps to get out of lock mode does not work, the vehicle will need to be towed to the dealer to have the key programmed or have a mobile locksmith come out and program it for you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What can mekena new starter click when engine is hot? Then the cool off the car start fine
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

High resistance in the wiring to the starter can cause that.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If not, and you are satisfied with my help, please Rate me.

That is how I get credit for my work.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It was doing that we old starter and the same with new - how and where i can check hi ground resistance!! Btw i changed the negative wire but need to program the key to check!!
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

You need to do a voltage drop on the wire from the battery to the starter

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
would be better to replace the canble- aso vdrop that you mean is checking the terminal voltage at the starter vs baterry supply? What is the acceptable drop
Expert:  Jay replied 3 months ago.

of course it would be easier to replace the cable. As far as performing the voltage drop you are trying to measure amperage and voltage. Amperage is the amount of current flow and voltage is the amount. The way you determine is to check all the readings before it goes down the cable, then measure it at the end of the cable. Off the top of my head, I normally look at the first reading and then the second to determine if that is a normal allowance.

Here is a video that may help explain it and how to check it..