Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 05 nissan altima. On a cold start i will hear a

Customer Question

Hello, i have a 05 nissan altima. On a cold start i will hear a howl sound coming from the engine. It's only for maybe 2 - 3 seconds. It will never make this sound when the engine is warm on start. Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 5 months ago.

Welcome,

Has it made this noise for very long?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have only had the car 6 months so im not sure. But since i owned it it has done the noise. There's 137,000 miles on it now.

Thanks,

By far, the most common cause of this is the fan belt. When the car is on a cold start the rubber is hard and it will make that noise just for a bit until the belt heats up, just like yours is doing. Keep in mind it doesnt have to make a squeel to have a bad belt. It may be the original fan belt and it would be wise to have it replaced.

Larry

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hmm, do you mean the serpentine belt? I replaced that along with the tensioner already so cant be that. It sounds more in the engine it self.

Yes that was what i was referring to..

Boy, i would have to hear it to be able to pinpoint it. There can be many different things that will cause that noise if its in the engine. I will opt out and see if someone else can help.

Larry

Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Is it possible to get a video of the noise so I can hear it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ya i was just thinking about that. ill get back to this when i can get it cold tomorrow. thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

You got it. Thanks..

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here's a video. It's louder in person and the noise is louder or softer depending temperature variables. https://youtu.be/Hji64s-_-8w
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

Is this a V6 engine?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No a V4
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

It was a short video, but from what I heard, it sounded like it could be the passenger side engine mount that has collapsed.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ya the noise only last for 2-3 seconds. Hard to capture it I'll try to get a better video. And all mounts are good, so it can't be that.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 months ago.

How is the oil level?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just checked it it was on the low side of the in range but I added oil just in case. Here's a link to another video with the noise with the hood open maybe you could see better. https://youtu.be/QM31zT0GJs0