Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2004 Nissan Titan has been running fine. Wanted to move it

Customer Question

2004 Nissan Titan has been running fine. Wanted to move it from one place to another in the driveway (after driving it for several hours with no issues) and it won't start. It's not that it won't turn over; it's that the car doesn't recognize that the key is turning to ACC or ON. Battery tests good, headlights come on, dome lights come on, door dings when open. But radio won't turn on (because it doesn't recognize that it's in ACC mode.) Can't do the OBDII to test for error codes unless it recognizes it's in the ON position, and the Nissan test of the EPDM also doesn't work because it doesn't recognize that it's in the ON position. Need ideas of what to check before I take the whole thing apart to replace the ignition assembly.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

When you turn the key to the ON position, is the security light on solid?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Jay. The security light blinks.
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

It Blinks when the key is in the ON position?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
no other lights turn on.
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

So it's like the truck has no electrical power other than the security light?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Kinda, but the headlights and dome lights turn on. It's more like the car isn't recognizing that the key has been turned, so it behaves as if it's in the OFF position still.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Flashers work too. Just checked. In case that helps...
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Did you try to jump start it? Maybe something was left on and the battery is low?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
but tried it again just now, for good measure. Nothing.
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Well, then lets start with some basic's then. Do you have a test light to check fuses?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Apparently not. The light doesn't seem to work, as we just tested it on the other car. We wanted to get a new light and multi-meter today anyway. Can we keep this discussion open until we get back from that errand?
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Sure. To return back, just log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm back, with a test light. Which fuses will I be testing?
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

You want to test them all with the key in the ON position. Here is a Video on how it's done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksrsXwwukFc

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
All fuses tested in ON position. In the engine compartment, only 4 fuses out of all of them worked - EGI, ETC, and both RRDEF. On the inside panel, there were 7 that worked. Want that list?
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Only some fuses had power? Which fuses did not have power?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
From inside the engine compartment, or inside the dash? Or both?
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Start with inside the truck

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Fuses that did not work: 2x rear blower, washer, HVAC, clighter, power socket console, mirror, audio, auto DRPO, rear heat seat, front heat seat, adaptive cruise control/RRDIF, meter, abag, & electronic parts.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I should say "fuses that did not light."
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

ok..1 second please

Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/2b.jpg

If you take this image and compare it to your fuse box, what are the number fuses please?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
You sent me a seat diagram. I don't understand?
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

oops.. sorry about that.. 1 min

Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Hold on.. it seems my drop box is not working properly.. Hold on.

Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

It appears I am having some technical difficulties. The program I use to share information is not responding. I am working on resolving the issue. As soon as get it up, I will share the fuse box image so you can tell me which number fuses are not getting power so I can look at the power supply and routing to try to determine the cause for you.

ok?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay, thank you. I have drop box if you want to send it to me as a file to my email. If you think that would work for you.
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

It looks like it's working now. Double check that for me and let me know if that is the fuse box layout, and not the seat image.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Working: 3, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Thank you. Hang on while I read for you

Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

That could be a fuse box issue. These fuses you outlined all get power from a 60 amp fusible link. But it splits and shares power through the accessory relay. So the fuses you didn't list are fuses 5, 4, 6, 7. They are on this same power circuit. So it looks like you could have a fuse box issue causing your problem.

Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Can you read a wiring diagram?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Ok.. Hang on, I will supply you the power supply and routing so you can see what I am seeing.

Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

That is the power supply and routing.

Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry for the delay in reply. Life got in the way of my repair. Can we resume this evening?
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

sure, not a problem. just give me a shout when you get online

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Will do. Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

Your welcome

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay. I am back. What is next? I have traced it to the J2 Accessory Relay on the diagram(page 6). Is that where you are? Is that on the IPDM?
Expert:  Jay replied 12 months ago.

That is in the Inside fuse box. So based on the information you provided, it sounds like a internal issue in the fuse box

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
what next then?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Jay. Fuse 17 keeps blowing. I have power in accessory. Turn to on and it blows.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Oh, you never told me that fuse 17 was constantly blowing.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

That fuse is for the audio unit. I would unplug the audio unit and put a fuse in and if it doesn't blow, then you have a bad audio unit causing the fuse to constantly blow.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, yesterday I went through every relay and tested. I went through every fuse. I put the key in and was listening for any relay switch noises. The only noise came out from behind the stereo. The closing of a switch. I turned the key and to accessory and the lights on the dash came on. So I tried the ON position. #17 blew. I changed the fuse. I tried again. Same result. Today, I went and got more fuses. Put in a new #17. Now, we are back to square 1. No lights on the dash again. I am going to disconnect the stereo equipment and try again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, the dash is open and the radio has been disconnected, the woofer is disconnected and it is still at square 1.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

I had said way back in the beginning, based on the fuses you mentioned, you are most likely dealing with a internal fuse box issue. So I would start there first.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. Will try that tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

You got it