Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

03 murano, no spark, code p1564,

Customer Question

03 murano , no spark, code p1564,
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Ok, check for power on the red wires on the coils and for continuity to ground on the black wires. Let me know!

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

A bad crank sensor could cause a no spark issue, I would start with that, check for voltage at the crank sensor. I do not believe your p1564 is related to the no start issue.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

You should see battery voltage on the red wire to the crank sensor

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Battery voltage at red wire good on cop, and black wire has ground, the grey with red stripe has nothing when cranking the engine
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Has power and ground at crank sensor, so change crank sensor
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Replaced crank sensor, still no spark
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

here is a wiring diagram for the coils, do you have injector pulse when cranking?

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

have you checked all those fuses and relays in the diagram? have you checked for voltage at the coils?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Has voltage at coils on red wire, but not the grey and red, could the chip in the key gone bad and cause this issue? I have checked every fuse,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I didnt check the pulse but smell fuel when cranking
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Usually if it is a security or key issue, the engine will not crank at all.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

check the black wire on the coil for ground. probe the red wire and ground the test light to the black wire, does it light up?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could the ecm be bad?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Yes it could be, but you want to make sure the harness and all the grounds are good first.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Has the car been in an accident? any other work done on it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ground and power is good, nothing on red and grey
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

the third wire is the triggering circuit, you need an oscilliscope to see the wave form, a test light or volt meter will not pick it up.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

unless your multimeter can read hz frequency

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

if you already replaced the crank sensor, and all the coils are not getting the triggering signal then its the ecm. if it were just one or two I would say wiring harness.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

You could also hook up scan tool and go into live data, verify in the scan tool you have an rpm signal.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
if it doesnt have rpm signal its the ecu?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

That will tell you if the crank sensor is sending a signal to the ecu.

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help?

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Have rpm signal when cranking, been advised to take the parts store cam sensors out and use only nissan ,
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Yes those aftermarket cam sensors are not the best.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Replaced them with Nissan cam sensors $260dollars, same no spark
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Showing -7 on ign timing
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
While cranking
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Sorry to hear that. You really need a scope to check to see if the ecm has a triggering signal to the coils.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Got it to crank! Running only on the rear bank, unplugged the front cam sensor fired right up, think it jumped time on tje front bank! You agree?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

If your cam and crank sensors are out of correlation, the engine will not start.

By unplugging the sensor the computer resorts to base timing values.

I would probably do a compression test on the motor. If it jumped time it may have bent valves.