sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I'm looking on cost services, 04 sentra, 2005, Sry 2004, I'm

Customer Question

I'm looking for information on cost for your services
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 04 sentra
JA: What year is your Nissan?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sry 2004
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I'm not getting any spark or injector pulse
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon, do you have a check engine light on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am getting code p0335 for crank sensor
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have checked and replaced cam and crank sensors the crank sensor is getting ground, 5v power and is sending a5v signal when engine is turning, the cam sensor is getting ground, a 12v input, and is giving a 10v signal when engine is turning. I have checked all wires back to the ecm and I am getting the same results there

Recheck signal voltage on the crank sensor Verify battery voltage to the crank sensor on the Red/Green wire. Verify ground for the crank sensor is good on the Black wire - look for 0.05 volts or less.
. Should be 8 to 10 volt square wave when cranking. Check to see if the sensor recall has been done. If not, do this first, #NTB01-081. Voltage drop powers and grounds at the ECM and replace if they are good.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a 5v on red/green wire and I have a good ground and I have a 5 v wave on pink wire when cranking. Should there be 12 volts at the crank sensor? Also how would I find out if the sensor recall has been done?

It should get 8-10 volts when cranking this means it is not getting what is needed to start. Very good chance you have a bad ECM as you have already replaced the sensor. You would have to contact mazda to check and see what recalls have been performed. See attached recall letter.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could I run a temp 12v wire to the power input on the crank sensor to see if it will start

No that will do damage to the ECM. The voltage from the other wire is correct so this is either an software issue wiring issue (wire between the ECM and the crank sensor) or the ECM has failed not giving you the 8-10 volt square wave signal. Attached wiring diagram so you can see for yourself. Sometimes we can fix things easy but other times it is a issue like this with no quick fix unless the wire is damaged going to the ecm.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I appreciate all your help but I'm having trouble understanding. Does the green/red wire supposed to have 5v? I have checked it at the crank sensor and the ecm both have 5v. Should it be higher because the cam sensor has 12v. Also the diagram u gave is different than my car it has the same plug but different wire layout may just have been a generic diagram I'm not sure

The red green wire should have battery voltage.

Also the wiring diagram should be the right one. It is for the 2003 nissan sentra with 1.8

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My car is an 04
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also did you get my first message about the car sitting for 3 yrs and I just installed this engine.

No for some reason I did not see that. Well that helps alot. You need to make sure the new engine and ecm match. If not you will need to get the dealership to program and sync the cam crank and ecu. Thats the reason it is not working.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I asked the dealer and they told me it shouldn't need programming, that the new engine should be a direct bolt in and start up. I was having issues with the car not running right before engine went out, then it sat for. 3yrs

I really do not see any other possible cause for the voltage coming from the ECM to be incorrect other than the programming or faulty ECM.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I'm going to check with dealer again Monday on the programming and look for a ecm to swap it out in the mean time. I'll let you know.

Without an actual lab scope anything you get on the yellow wire will be hard to know for sure if it is correct but the other wire should have 12v on it but you are getting 5v unless the wire has a bad connection it is the ecm here

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my signal wire is pink, could you get a wiring diagram for the 04?

Just did it is the same.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry I keep saying 04 it's an 05

Tried an 05 to in 2002 it has a red wire but no pink

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
On my crank sensor plug I have a green with red stripe (5v w/key on) pink (0-5v while turning engine by hand w/key on) and black with white stripe (ground). I traced them all the way to ecm plug and they are the same color there.

That is very odd, my manuals are from the manufacture so they should be identical. I am going to opt out and see if another expert can figure this one out as maybe i am missing something here.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your help. Do I need to do anything or will someone else contact me?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Can you post the VIN?
Do you have the VIN from the vehicle the engine came from?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you need the whole vin I have 4th digit c and was told the one I bought was the same

I need the whole VIN's to try and determine if the engines are the same.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i do not have the vin from donor car.
My vin 3N1CB51D25L468346

What year were you told the engine was from?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2005

Did any parts have to be swapped when installing it because they were not correct?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, everything was exact, I swapped the cam and crank sensors when it wouldn't start but that's all.

Are you using the original crank sensor now from when the car was running?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

How and where are you testing the signal from the sensor?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Testing with a volt meter near plug, with key on, I have also tested the same wires near ecm plug with the same results.

I need to know the exact procedure you're using, meter settings and where wires are being placed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Key on sensor plugged in..(green wire with red stripe) red meter lead probed into this wire and black meter lead on good ground I have 5v.Key on sensor plugged in red lead probed in pink wire rotating engine by hand, voltage from 0 to 5vAnd on black wire with white stripe I have ohmed it to good ground and ground is goodI have traced the wires to the ecm plug and got the same results as above
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Meter set on 20v dc max

What voltage do you see on the red/green wire with the sensor unplugged?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
5v

What do you see with the main relay removed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Which relay is the main relay? The one behind glove box?

IT's behind the glovebox and on the left.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Only have on back there.. With it unplugged I have 5v at ckp plug

Does it change when you remove 10 amp fuse 36?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can not find a fuse 36, checked under hood and inside. Am I missing it?

It's in the box under the hood.

Are you positive you supplied the correct VIN? Your wire colors don't match either, as well as the sensor's reference voltage as mentioned previously.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Positive on the vin#
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's my under hood fuse box

Do you have battery voltage on the green/white wires at the coils while cranking?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
10-11v

Have you checked crank sensor output directly at the ECM connector?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I probed the wire on the backside of the ecm connector and have same reading

A labscope should really be used, but if it's setting a P0335 yet crank sensor signal is present at the ECM then that wouldn't leave anything but the ECM; however it's failure would be unexpected. I question whether the crank tone wheel is correct and the engine is from the correct year.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The tone wheel is internal on this engine, is 5v the correct amount voltage for feed at the sensor?

Not according to the factory service information. The service information shows the sensor receiving battery voltage from the main relay, but what you're describing is a 5v reference from the ECM.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I guess I'll try the ecm, that's the direction I was heading anyway.

Good luck with it!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you tell me the part number for the ecm?

My catalog narrows it down to eight possible part numbers but I'm not able to narrow it any finer. If yours doesn't have a part number label then I would recommend having your dealer look it up by VIN.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
MEC63-270B1 is the number on the one in the car, is that one of the eight you have listed?

I'm showing possibilies of 237106Z64A, 237106Z65A, 237106Z60A, 237106Z61A, 237106Z665, 237106Z670, 237106Z62A, and 237106Z63A.