sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

There is a loud whirring noise when I accelerate .the noise

Customer Question

There is a loud whirring noise when I accelerate .the noise is there at idle but not as loud.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: Bavaria is 2013 with 225000 km.
JA: What is the model of your '13 Nissan?
Customer: Navara 4 cylinder turbo
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes if not too complicated I am trying to decide where the noise is coming from. It is over due for a service by about 10000 km :/
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The noise reduces over 2500 revs but they may be due to engine noise. Sounds like the noise is coming from airbox side of the engine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the noise is coming from the front of the engine then it's most likely coming from an engine driven accessory.

If you have a mechanic's stethoscope you can use it to listen to each component while the engine is running to pinpoint the source of the noise.

If no stethoscope is available then you can remove the belt and momentarily run the engine to see if the noise is gone. If so then each pulley can be felt for play, roughness, and spun to see if it makes any noise.