Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

Trunk latch clicking but would not open on Nissan Sentra

Customer Question

Trunk latch clicking but would not open on Nissan Sentra 2004
JA: Has the battery died recently?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just trying to use the key opener and the trunk lid opener inside the car
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I had no problem before, had blown fuse that controlled cabin light and door latched, had the fuse replaced, everything works except the trunk latch
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Does the trunk open with the key?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

The Back seat, does it fold down? Is it a split seat? or a complete back seat?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is a split seat but I am not sure if it folds down
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If it's a split, it does fold down, just the releases are in the trunk.

Ok, this is your situation. Your trunk is in Valet mode. If you were to open the trunk, where the bottom latch is on the inside is a lever. You lift that lever and it takes it out of valet mode. If you press it down, it puts it in valet mode. If you have no way to access the trunk, then you will need to remove the back seat lower cushion and take a part the seat backs to squeeze into the trunk to pull the emergency release to open the trunk to flip that lever.

Would you like a picture of what it looks like?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
would like a picture. I will tomorrow morning and then let you know if I have a problem
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

That is what it looks like.

Do you have any more questions on this? I am only online in the evenings. So let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The back seat is actually one whole seat. But the back of it split into two. I tried to find the way to fold but could not. Any more suggestions? At the bottom of backs there are little round signs with the seat picture. I thought they indicate a level to pull but could not find one. Please advise
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Then what you do is remove the lower seat cushion and unbolt the seat back and fold it up to pull the emergency trunk release on the top of the trunk lid to open the trunk.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That is too much for doing myself. I took the car to the repair shop. I hope they can help.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

The way I described it is how they are going to have to access the inside of the truck to open it.

Let me know how you make out

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The shop fixed it. Removed the seat and reset the switch. Hat to pay $150. Thanks for advise anyway
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome and thank you for using

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!