Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

My compressor was just replaced this last friday. My car was

Customer Question

My compressor was just replaced this last friday. My car was dead on Saturday morning. My mechanic said the clutch is engaged even when the car is off.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: Air conditioner clutch
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2003 Altima
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Mechanic is fixing it. He has checked the relay, checked the wires behind the dash
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: ok
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

hey there, unless someone has a jumper wire ran to the compressor wire. The relay would have to be closed for the compressor to always have power to it.

This relay is in the IPDM and tested using the auto-active IPDM test. How exactly did your mechanic test the relay?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is the IPDM test?
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

I will show you how its done.

Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

i know that my image is named "maxima" auto active. It's identical across models so ignore the name. I just have that one on hand to upload fast.