Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I just bought an 01 pathfinder SE and the AC is not working.

Customer Question

Hi. I just bought an 01 pathfinder SE and the AC is not working. Only hot air blows through on low, med or high. The compressor comes on and spins but makes a slight whiny noise. I tried to recharge the system but the pressure seems to be in the pressure seems to be just under 100 psi in 90 degree weather and wont take a charge. AC light comes on and turns off when I press the button and an ODB2 scan doesnt come up with anything pertaining to AC except maybe error code P1441-Vacuum Cut Valve Bypass Valve.
Any Ideas.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

Are you saying the low side is almost 100 PSI when the compressor clutch is engaged??

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yup. Low side pressure where i tried to recharge is almost 100psi
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

the compressor must not be turning on, apply 12v to the compressor wire and make sure the clutch engages. Let me know if the pressure drops substantially.

It's not uncommon to see high pressures on the low side with the compressor off, but when it's running it should be a third of that.