peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.

My Nissan xtrail has refused to start. It cranks, but does

Customer Question

My Nissan xtrail has refused to start. It cranks, but does not start the engine. On diagnosing, the error it comes up with is P1610 - lock mode. I have had many technician look at it but to no avail.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: The battery is new. The engine does not turn over.
JA: What year is your Xterra?
Customer: The x-trail is 2000 model (German).
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have mechanics tht have tried to clear the fault using the impute diagnostic.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I am told that there need to be a new key and for it to be reprogrammed. I am not sure if this is the solution.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The mechanic who diagnosed it did not have the code to reprogram the key. How would want get the code?
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This is an anti theft code.If this just occurred suddenly using the same key you have been using that has been able to start and operate the vehicle in the past this issue can be with the key itself needing replaced.In allot of cases the key itself will fail to be picked up by the immobilizer or fail to send a signal to be picked up to allow the engine to start and run properly.I have had to replace the key several times for an issue like this here.

I have also seen the immobilizer itself fail internally not reading the key needing replaced.

This will have to be diagnosed further with the correct diagnostic equipment to see if the key or immobilizer needs replaced to correct this here.In some cases the key may just need to be reprogrammed but unfortunately I do not see a manual way to do this and the dealer has to do this with their computer plugged into your vehicle.I know they can charge anywhere from a half hour to an hours labor to do this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Reprogramming the key requires some special code. How do we get the right code?

Unfortunately the only way to get this code is from a dealer.In some cases they may not charge you for this code if you show them proof of ownership like the registration and your photo ID.You can see if they will give you the code but in some cases they may charge a small fee for this code.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do I contact the dealers? I do not mind paying a small fee. I also have ownership documents available.

You can either locate the nearest one by you and visit them with all the paper work on your vehicle or call the nearest one to see if they can help over the phone with this info.In most cases though you may have to visit the nearest one.

Thanks Pete