Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of automotive Repair

I have a 96 Nissan Maxima it originaly died on a friend who

Customer Question

I have a 96 Nissan Maxima it originaly died on a friend who was driving it and couldnt start it again i kept replacing starters 3 in one day thinking they were part store crap but then relized the motor seemed like it was stuck then realized it was hydrolocked with fuel got it towed home started taking out spark plugs and number 1 was fu8el of gas got the gas out and replaced oring and it did it again then replaced injector and seemed okay for 3 days then did it again towed back home and then removed the rail and found injector 3 stuck open spraying constantly so i replaced that one and my friend drove it later that day and a few hours later it started running real bad and died on her she parked it and then i checked it out an
d it was putting out white smoke and fuel out the tail pipe i mean a lot of fuel left a huge stain on the street she drove it home like that smoking like crazy and its been sitting for a month at this point put all new o rings in it and changed the computer and it seemed to stop spitting gas and i checked 246 with a noid light and for s**** and giggles switched the computer and it seemed to not be spitting either and checked 246 with noid light and they were working too but the other day went to the car and it was still spitting gas with both new and old computer dont know what to do at this point , pull the fuel rail and see if something else is spraying ? or could this be the fpr?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you sure the injector are pulsing and not sticking open and your still fuel fouling the engine I would install a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure. Normal fuel pressure on a properly working system should be right at 34 to 35 PSI. Check this and post back with the results and we can cork from there if need be.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you thinking pressure will be to high or to low?
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Im thing if the fuel pressure regulator has failed it will cause excessive fuel pressure and if that is the cases it will cause the injectors to dump fuel. A fuel pressure test will determine if in fact that is the case.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm going to get a fuel pressure gauge here shortly after I get off work( I'm in los Angeles) off at 6 ish and will check the fuel pressure and get back to you asap.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay, let me know the results of your testing and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok tried getting ahold of a fuel pressure gauge and was unable to however i pulled the upper intake manifold off (again thiis is the 5th or 6th time ) unbolted the rails from the lower intake manifold keyed it to right before the key would start the starter and i saw two injectors dripping fuel removed number 3 (rear middle) and it had a bad o ring replaced it and number 2 the o ring looked okay so im not sure if its actually the injector , i had also replaced the fpr with another used one just to see if it changed the fuel out the tail pipe situation since i was still looking for a fuel pressure gauge and it did not make a difference either. I have yet to try it out since i still need to put a different injector in number 2 and presssure test the rail with and without the harnesses hooked up ( to rule out the ecm ) can the computer drivers on the ecm go out individually or will all the injectors ground out ? ive already got an extra ecm and it seemed to make no difference, just wanted to give you an update and let u know im still here.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok put a fuel pressure gauge on it last night and the car didn't want to start making sounds like hydrolocking sometime it would keep hydrolocking after it initially hydrolocking and some times it would turn over no problem i'm figuring that the percentage of air and fuel was just not enough fuel to keep it locked up and the fact that valves are opening releasing the pressure. it was also backfiring here and there too but when started it was showing 22 psi highest i saw once was 25 psi the only problem is that i just had pulled the fuel rail and reseated the lower o- rings and i think a o ring (at least one) has blown out cause fuel is coming out the tailpipe, i installed the fuel pressure gauge at the end of the rail after the regulator and injectors does it need to be inserted at a different location on the fuel line? I was thinking we needed a reading after the regulator to see if its functioning properly. And raw fuel is still coming out the tailpipe.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
also the gauge showed the system was loosing pressure almost immediately after the engine stopped
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Are you sure the injector are not stuck open due to a fault ground from the computer. The have to be wide open if you getting a hydro-lock.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when the problem first happened when i changed out three starters in one day it was hydro-locked but this time it makes the sound of a hydro-lock but when i try to start it again within a second it will turn over and the engine will start but every once in a while it throws out the sound of a hydro-lock and it might do it maybe three times in a row and the engine wont move but then the fourth time it will turn over. ive checked all the injectors with a noid light and all are flashing ,ive checked the individual wire for the ground short from either a short in the harness or the ecm but no short found. if ive got the fuel pressure gauge on fuel line and if theres a blown out o ring from the excessive pressure would the gauge now show low pressure because all im seeing is about 22 psi for fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i pulled 2 4 and 6 injector and the fuel wells then drained themselves into the cylinders so it doesnt appear to be those ones so am i going to have to pull the upper intake again replace the o rings ( and hopefully find the bad one ) and fix it put it back together and then check fuel pressure again?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay , let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok so im going to have to make sure the orings are reseated and then check the pressure again ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
these are the trouble codes i pulled last night p0150 p0325 p0136 p0141 p1105 and then p0325 p0300 p1105 pending
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Until you figure out where the excessive fuel is coming from there no reason to chase these codes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay so i was asking you what is the next thing i have to do ? check the o-rings on the remaining injectors? couldnt i just hose clamp a rubber fuel line to the metal part of the fuel pressure regulator bypassing the fuel rail and hooking it right into the fuel return thats after the injectors? I know id have to check the o-rings anyway but i might blow them out again if its being over pressured.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay so i pulled the upper intake and the injector on number 5 had a crack in the o ring so i replaced it and put everything back and with the fuel pressure gage it went right to 36 psi but then after stopping it and restarting it went up to 46 psi and held there ,since the car has been stuck in a parking lot and was in danger of being towed we drove it about a mile in a half up hill to home i got back at like 3 in the morning so i didnt restart the car to check the psi again the car had stopped spitting gas out of the tailpipe but it was smoking like crazy when we started driving once at home it was smoking a little but not much and didnt appear to be spitting gas, but what does the 46 psi mean exactly do i need a new fpr?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

46 PSI is on the high side and as long as the fuel return is working as it should then that only leaves the fuel pressure regulator. Normal pressure should be right at 34 to 35 PSI.