peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.

I cannot turn the ignition switch on.the gear is in park.

Customer Question

I cannot turn the ignition switch on.the gear is in park. The steering wheel is locked
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Versa Note is 2014 automatic
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Shook steering wheel. Shook gear lever
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nothing gives -very little spring to the left. Key goes in but will not turn. Tried both sets of keys
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing that needs done here if this has not been done is to check and make sure this isnt due to a weak or dead battery issue.If you have a weak or dead battery this causes this fault here.If this has already been checked and found o.k. the other issue I have seen in allot of cases is a fault with the steering lock itself needing replaced.I have seen the steering lock fail causing the no turn and no start issue.

This will have to be checked into/tested further to pinpoint the cause and repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete