Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

2007 Armada. New a/c fan, new thermostat, new radiator.

Customer Question

2007 Armada. New a/c fan, new thermostat, new radiator. After I idle about 10 minutes in hot weather, a/c blows hot air. Seconds after I take off it blows cool again. I can't afford to keep pouring money into it.
JA: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: It was so they replaced the radiator 2 months ago.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: a mechanic is looking at it. The same one that installed the three items. He said his Titan does the same thing.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I hit a deer front left 4 years ago. A telephone pole front right 3 years ago. Airbags didn't deploy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

It sounds like it could be as simple as low Freon, especially if there was some body work in the front done in the past.

Sometimes we see that the system will develop very small leaks and then needs to be refilled after a couple of years. Most likely the leaks won't even show up on a leak test because they are so minor.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They have checked the freon. Are Nissan just not good hot weather vehicles?
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Typically they are pretty good. Out here in the southwest we don't see many issues with them.

Did the shop test the pressure readings in the AC?

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

I assume the shop is fairly well qualified, but it's not terribly difficult to test whether the problem is a faulty AC compressor, low freon level, bad pressure switch, etc.

My bet is still on low Freon levels, otherwise it wouldn't work at high speeds.