Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

My car won't start and when it does its not picking up any

Customer Question

My car won't start and when it does its not picking up any power my personal mechanic told me it was the fuel pump as its not getting any fuel which makes sense but I just want to be sure before I spend that type of money
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: June 2014 he said its not the battery because everything comes on the radio air conditioner etc..it turns over
JA: What is the model of your '14 Nissan?
Customer: 2004 350z
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No my mechanic is going to replace the fuel pump
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No that's about it he tapped on the part where the fuel filter is and it kind of revved up and sounded correct like its dirty or logged but it just putters I thought if your fuel pump was bad that your car wouldn't run at all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

HI there,

Is the security light on when trying to start it?
Does it flash or is it on solid when cranking the engine?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its on solid last Saturday it was blinking but now its just on solid
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh I'm sorry its on solid while cranking
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello???
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

DO NOT let them put a fuel pump in the car.

It has lost the programming on the key and needs a locksmith or a dealer. The immobilizer has turned off the fuel so the car won't start.

A fuel pump will not repair it and will be a huge loss of money.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But it starts sometimes we brought it from a used dealer ...so your saying it definitely doesn't need a fuel pump
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 months ago.

I am saying if that security light is on solid, the immobilizer is set. If the immobilizer is set and has the car shut down, then a fuel pump won't do anything. It's very common for shops to replace the fuel pump when this happens.

It sounds like it needs a nissan dealer before you go any further. If the immobilizer is working only sometimes, then it will need repair.