Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years of automotive Repair
7276279

I've got a '94 Nissan Pickup (D21), with a new battery, that

Customer Question

I've got a '94 Nissan Pickup (D21), with a new battery, that won't start half the time until I do one of two things; 1) roll start it (if I'm on a hill) or 2) spray Starting Fluid into the carburator. The other half of the time it cranks and runs fantastic. I've replaced the following: battery, starter relay, main relay, fuel filter. All fuses are good, cleaned connections ,even though cranking speed is good, it just want 'catch')
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: It turns over rapidly, battery charger shows 12.7 v and 100%, battery is 4 months old.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've got a '94 Nissan Pickup (D21), with a new battery, that won't start half the time until I do one of two things; 1) roll start it (if I'm on a hill) or 2) spray Starting Fluid into the carburator. The other half of the time it cranks and runs fantastic. I've replaced the following: battery, starter relay, main relay, fuel filter. All fuses are good, cleaned connections ,even though cranking speed is good, it just want 'catch')
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I assume your spraying fuel into the throttle body as you should not have a carb because this engine should be fuel injected. In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure so since it will run with add fuel I would start with checking for injector pulse at the injectors when it will not start. You can do this with a standard 12 volt test light by placing the test end in to the power side of any one of the injector and the ground end into the other side and then crank the engine over. If you have injector pulse the light should flash. Check this for me and post back with the result and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Ron, I am 61 and fooled w/ cars some since a teenager, thought I'd try JA for this stumper. I have a Haynes for Nissan Pickups (80-97) but, it's not clear to me that it's Throttle Body.
but it does resemble this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqaXIsHzYdUWhereas, Throttle body carb on 94 Nissan D21 look like this, (I think):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251309383634?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Yes both of these are throttle bodies if you look on both side of the intake you will see the injector rail which holds the injectors into the intake.