Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Won't start, no crank no click. fairly new battery. left

Customer Question

Won't start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: no crank no click. fairly new battery. left headlights on. battery has juice.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2001 frontier
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i tried jumpstarting. checked fuses.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i dont think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'd be happy to help! First, do you have access to a voltmeter for testing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do not
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Is it the 3.3L engine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Ok, starters are relatively common on these but the only way to accurately test it is either with a voltmeter or removing it to be bench tested, which most parts stores do for free. The only other way to check it is to tap on it with an assistant trying to crank it, but sometimes hitting it still wont free the solenoid up. Are you able to remove it yourself for bench testing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
not at the moment. is it common after draining a battery to have a starter go out? i never had any issues starting it before.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Not at all, but if you're jumping it off with a known-good jump box and its connected correctly then you're bypassing the dead battery. However, when I read the battery has juice I took that as you know the battery is still good. Did you try jumping it off with another vehicle or jump box?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i did try jumping it from another vehicle. dash lights, windows etc all worked after disconnecting the other vehicle. I charged for about 15 minutes.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

I apologize but something has come up and I have to leave, I'll open it up again though so you're not waiting on me to return and another expert should be along to help shortly. Good luck!