Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

I have a 2002 nissan maxima with a p0011 code. The car idles

Customer Question

I have a 2002 nissan maxima with a p0011 code. The car idles fairly but when I step on the gas, when the rpms come back down, the car is ready to turn off, but it fights to stay on and returns to the fairly idle.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: It's a 3.5 vq35de engine. Came out of a 2003 g35. But there is 193370 on the dashboard.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I changed the fuel injectors but nothing else because I thought it was fine.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I got 5 codes before but now it's only showing 1. The five where 'p0011 pending, p0011 confirmed, p0021 pending, p0021 confirmed, and p0300'.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello

I'd start by checking the condition of the wiring to the inlet cam solenoid and also to the cam sensor

the P0011 code can be created by either of these two being faulty

of the two the solenoid is more likely to be the issue and its not that expensive to replace

I'd also check for an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattenedpiece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine