Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Nissan altima 2003 2.5s starting problems The headgasket was

Customer Question

Nissan altima 2003 2.5s starting problemsThe headgasket was replaced, and tensioner spring n cylinder (comes with spring) fell down on timing chain belt, i had to take cover off. Now that its assemble. Im having starting problems.
https://youtu.be/SgjkGp7h4E4
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Battery comes at 11.59v
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

will it start at all?

do you have spark?

Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

battery voltage is pretty love, but more concerned with the cranking amperage then the voltage.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, new sparkplugs, wont start at all only i hear the starter i believe crankshaft n belt do move. I posted a YouTube video
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

pull a coil, crank the engine and lay it next to a ground (metal engine component) watch for the spark. .

Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Good possibility at this point the timing is off, no spark would tell us that's likely the case here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What procedure i need to do to get this fixed
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry i didnt read the last part
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will do the ignition test as soon i get my hands in car
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

sounds good, let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i was able to test ignition spark and all made spark
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here is a video of the test
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
https://youtu.be/tzGNsCq-1SU
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the video, but it only sparked 1 time which is not a good indication. It's normal if the timing is off to have an initial spark when you start cranking, but then no spark as it continues to crank. It should be a pretty consistent spark each time the engine turns. Click, click, click with a spark at each crank.

Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

do you have a scan tool? are you getting any codes now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no, i have run a scanner multipple times and dont pick up any errors, the camshaft n crankshaft should be working as there new.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

Did you look at intake timing fluctuations while cranking with your scanner? at this point it's looking like a timing issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
34;intake timing fluctuations" im un aware of that, altho, while working on car last night, i did try to put timing chain on the marks, problem that i couldn't rotate the crankpulley more.. so i couldnt align the chain marks with camshafts.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

What do you mean you couldn't turn the crank?You had the chain off when aligning them?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i took it off i could freely move it
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

I know your dreading it, but your doing to have to re-check the timing to make sure its right.

Did you use the factory service manual when you did it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
to turn crank i have to put chain back on camshaft?
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

no, i thought you were saying the crank would not turn with the chain off.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
well the chain was off from camshafts.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

If it's off and your having trouble turning the crank or getting it close. just put the chain back on. Turn the crank to set it and then remove the chain ffrom the cams to turn them back to their marks before re-setting the chain.

Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

if the let the cams move when re-installing the chain it will be off a tooth or two guaranteed.

Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.

i am having trouble trying to understand what your issue is because turning the cam or crank to set them shouldn't be an issue