Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Nissan altima 2003 2.5s starting problems The headgasket was

Customer Question

Nissan altima 2003 2.5s starting problemsThe headgasket was replaced, and tensioner spring n cylinder (comes with spring) fell down on timing chain belt, i had to take cover off. Now that its assemble. Im having starting problems.
https://youtu.be/SgjkGp7h4E4
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Battery comes at 11.59v
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

will it start at all?

do you have spark?

Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

battery voltage is pretty love, but more concerned with the cranking amperage then the voltage.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well, new sparkplugs, wont start at all only i hear the starter i believe crankshaft n belt do move. I posted a YouTube video
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

pull a coil, crank the engine and lay it next to a ground (metal engine component) watch for the spark. .

Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

Good possibility at this point the timing is off, no spark would tell us that's likely the case here.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What procedure i need to do to get this fixed
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry i didnt read the last part
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will do the ignition test as soon i get my hands in car
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

sounds good, let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i was able to test ignition spark and all made spark
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is a video of the test
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
https://youtu.be/tzGNsCq-1SU
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the video, but it only sparked 1 time which is not a good indication. It's normal if the timing is off to have an initial spark when you start cranking, but then no spark as it continues to crank. It should be a pretty consistent spark each time the engine turns. Click, click, click with a spark at each crank.

Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

do you have a scan tool? are you getting any codes now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no, i have run a scanner multipple times and dont pick up any errors, the camshaft n crankshaft should be working as there new.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

Did you look at intake timing fluctuations while cranking with your scanner? at this point it's looking like a timing issue.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
34;intake timing fluctuations" im un aware of that, altho, while working on car last night, i did try to put timing chain on the marks, problem that i couldn't rotate the crankpulley more.. so i couldnt align the chain marks with camshafts.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

What do you mean you couldn't turn the crank?You had the chain off when aligning them?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i took it off i could freely move it
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

I know your dreading it, but your doing to have to re-check the timing to make sure its right.

Did you use the factory service manual when you did it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
to turn crank i have to put chain back on camshaft?
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

no, i thought you were saying the crank would not turn with the chain off.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
well the chain was off from camshafts.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

If it's off and your having trouble turning the crank or getting it close. just put the chain back on. Turn the crank to set it and then remove the chain ffrom the cams to turn them back to their marks before re-setting the chain.

Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

if the let the cams move when re-installing the chain it will be off a tooth or two guaranteed.

Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

i am having trouble trying to understand what your issue is because turning the cam or crank to set them shouldn't be an issue