Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a couple questions. I'm working on a 2005 xterra 4x4

Customer Question

Hi. I have a couple questions.
I'm working on a 2005 xterra 4x4 4.0L
It has a dead short at the A/T cont fuse in the fuse panel in the glove box. (i believe fuse #22)
It has codes p1706 and u1000 and u1001 showing up.
Short history:
The vehicle had the "coolant in the trans. problem" about 3 months ago. I caught it early and changed the radiator and did a complete trans. and trans. cooler flush etc. The transmission never had any problems shifting etc. before or after contamination. I cleared the computer and it has run perfectly until now. It was parked and then would not start. That's when I found the blown fuse.
Question is: Is it possible the shift selection switch is shorted causing the fuse to blow and the p1706 code to come up or is it more likely that the TCM is shorted causing the fuse to blow and the p1706 as a result of the blown fuse and loss of power?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

Hi there, thanks for the question.

I have seen this a bunch, I was actually going to say to check for cross contamination before I read down further and seen you already confirmed it.

This is going to be a faulty TCM, you replace the control valve (valve body with TCM) to correct the issue. Unfortunately when you have the cross contamination issues, even if you catch it early the water in the coolant can cause issues like this when it has came in contact.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's what I figured. I've done a ton of research, but wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.
How involved is it to change that valve body?
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

It's not entirely too difficult. Just mark the bolts as they aren't all the same lengths.

main thing is you need to initialize the trans after installing it. This clears the EEPROM.

If you buy the part form the dealer, make sure the TCM is not completely blank. That should only apply to 2013+ year models, but I always tell people to make sure before purchasing a TCM.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will I have to have the dealer re-program that tcm then?
Will the vehicle run to get it there?
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

Assist gives us different recommendations for CVT, 5 speed a/t, and 4 speed a/t.

For instance is you replace the transmission but not the TCM then you initialize, or vice versa. Anything that incorporates a previously used component on a new TCM needs the EEPROM replaced.

Since your replacing the control valve (valve body and NEW TCM) you shouldn't have to initialize.

if its not a brand new one you MUST initialize. no choice or you will cause premature failure to the trans

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The new valve body says it comes W/O programming control. What does that mean? Does that have anything to do with it needing to be initialized?
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

where are you purchasing it from? and does it come with the TCM?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's a dealer part and it comes with the TCM but when I look it up online it says comes W/O programming control so I'm wondering what that meant?
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

it means it's a blank TCM and they will have to program it once installed.

Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

you need to make sure the dealer your purchasing it from, will perform the service after you install the part.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will the vehicle not drive until it's programmed? (Will it need to be towed to the dealer?)
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

It would have to be towed in this situation.

Let me know if you have more questions.