rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I changed my 02 sensor 2 weeks ago... Now check engine light

Customer Question

I changed my 02 sensor 2 weeks ago... Now check engine light turned on back on and giving same code for 02 sensor
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 136k
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I got code p1273 code about 2. Weeks ago changed the oxygen sensor... Code went away now it turned on again
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No I got it fixed by a mechanic
JA: OK! The Nissan Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: No just that
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

It can mean that the O2 sensor that was put in is NOT compatible with your system and requires an OEM sensor from the dealer, OR, the problem may not be that sensor at all, it can be an electrical or computer issue too.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The sensor I purchased is from auto zone. They told me this is for the altima.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

I understand, but the quality may just not be there. I see this happen all the time and so does Auto zone with Nissan's and Ford's.

Have it tested with a scan tool, that won't lie to you and neither will I.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK I already had it scanned with the machine. Same code comes out. P1273
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also the oem sensor you agree referring too is this separate to the oxygen sensor?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

NO and NO, You just had the codes read, you did not have the computer scanned to TEST the O2 sensor.

OEM means original equipment from the manufacturer, NOT aftermarket junk from Autozone. Please don't shoot the messenger, but I have been doing this a VERY long time and know what I am talking about, and please don't let the news i gave you effect my good rating:)

Thanks again, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.

Auto zone has its' place for oil, filters, wax, fuel additives etc, but NOT electrical parts that are related to computer systems, they just don't fair up now or in the past.

Thanks again, Ron