K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

2002 Nissan Frontier XE, the A/C is intermittantly working,

Customer Question

2002 Nissan Frontier XE, the A/C is intermittantly working, when I first get in & drive it works -> I stop -> then back in, it stops working (blower works no cold air) I changed the Thermostat (3 wire, orange plastic coated, inside cooler box, behind glove box) still does not work. Under the hood I remove the blue relay out of the fuse box & use a bypass wire to jump or bypass the relay. The compressor switches on A/C Works it blows cold air. My question what piece of electronics, or series of components does the thermostat connect to that works in conjunction with the relay -> which controls the compressor & turns it on & off?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 10 months ago.

Check the dual pressure switch as if it is faulty the compressor will not turn on. I'll post the info below.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, I'll get a multi-meter & dig into it. Still need to know what piece of electronics controlls the thermostat I think I might have smoked something when testing & replacing the thermostat - some burnt resistor smell comming from the dash glove box area. Any idea what that could be? Middle wire on the 3 prong white connector the thermostat plugs into, I think I accidently shorted it, & then burnt/smoke smell followed? I can snap a pic of the connector & wire I'm refering to & send it, let me no if you need a pic of it?
Thx

Is it manual or auto climate control? Need to know to pull the diagram ofr the thermister wiring

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Manual Climate Controll (old school), I've attached a photo of The Thermostat & its connectior -> I believe I shorted the middle (Blue) with the Green/Orange (hot) wire -> then shortly after Burnt electronic smell followed, hopefully part of a controll board / module I can replace.

Thanks, ***** ***** likely it fried the amplifier in the control head. The blue wire goes to that. You can probably find a control head on eBay or HERE I'll post the wiring diagram below.

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.