peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing vehicles.

I have smelling coolant when driving when it's hot outside

Customer Question

HELLO I have smelling coolant when driving when it's hot outside and with the AC on I'm assuming it's the heater core
JA: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: It has 105,000 and mileage is good the car runs excellent no leaks doesn't burn oil still fast as hell it's my baby
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yep I do all work my self just looking for some insight to the process of getting her fixed
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried anything
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: Nah just I hear it's a big pain to do a heater core
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

There is more pressure build up in the coolant system usually when its hotter outside which can lead to leaks showing up even in the engine bay area.I wouldnt rule out the heater core leaking but this is very possible this is a hose or radiator leaking as well.

What needs to be done is to have the coolant system pressure tested with a coolant pressure tester to pinpoint the leak.Once this is done and the leak is found it can be repaired from there.

You can usually rent a coolant pressure tester from a local parts store to test this yourself in most cases.Then inspect the engine bay area as well as evaporater drain at the bottom of the firewall for leaking coolant.Once the leak is found then it will need repaired from there.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete