Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

Yesterday, my car was blowing cold and then all of sudden it

Customer Question

Yesterday, my car was blowing cold and then all of sudden it was just blowing warm air, currently researching to find out what the problem is?
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: No, I don't know how to check for those problems, trying to figure that out online now. With it being Sunday, I haven't found any shops open.
JA: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2009 Nissan Maxima
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing really, I don't where to start. I was going to try to by a can of freon and try to charge myself but I would like to know if that is truely the problem.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's all that I have, my thermostat was set to 60 degrees, it still comes on a blows but it's just warm air.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

The most common cause would be low freon. over time a very small amount can leak out of the seals. Eventually it will get low enough that the low pressure switch will prevent the compressor from coming on when you call for the a/c.

These systems can be very complicated because there are several sensors involved, especially on the auto climate control systems like this.

Also, check and make sure that both radiator fans come on when you have it set at 60. If only one is working, then the freon will get hot and generate to much pressure. This will also turn the compressor off.

Adding a small amount of freon is even where the shop starts to see if it helps. It's a good starting point.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!