Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.

I have 03 nisson frontier 4wd with a 3.3 liter engine. I am

Customer Question

I have 03 nisson frontier 4wd with a 3.3 liter engine. I am getting a p300 code . It starts most of the time but if you don't hold key long enough and miss the start , the engine will just spin and not fire. You have to turn key off and set there acouple minutes and retry. But now it will die when you let off the gas to slow down or to stop at a light. You you have turn key off and restart. But doesn't do it all the time just acouple times a week.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park,no
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked rotor cap and rotor and looked at plug wires.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

HI there,

How old are the actual spark plugs? Did you look at them as well?
Does it matter if the engine is hot or cold when this happens?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It can be hot or cold.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

I am curious how old the spark plugs are. It's really quite possible the truck needs a good tune up and that there isn't any major problem. I only say this because so many times the simple stuff is forgotten because now they are running off computers. Things get missed.

Based on what is happening it seems like it could be tune up related. Fuel filter and a set of spark plugs. If not, then it sounds like a possible issue with the mass air flow sensor. I would seriously consider a tune first though.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Spark plugs and wires less than 10000 miles.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

When it wont start right up, try unplugging the mass air flow sensor and see if it will start right up. If it does, it's usually an indication the mass air flow sensor is the problem. Without it being a consistent problem it's difficult to even try to run this test on it, but we need to start someplace.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It starts
Expert:  Mike V. replied 4 months ago.

Based on my experience I think you have a mass air flow sensor issue. It's probably just starting to fail on you. You can't run the truck with the maf sensor unplugged over idle though.

You could try cleaning the maf sensor although I don't see a lot of success with that, it might work because it hasn't completely ailed on you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Also, please remember to rate my answer.

Thanks so much!