Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Nothing works on car : It's as if the key isn't being

Customer Question

Nothing works on car
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It's as if the key isn't being recognized. Get in car and nothing turns on at all. 08 Altima push to start
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 130, not sure just bought car 3 weeks ago
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Everything I can think of. But nothing works
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am glad to help out with this.

Touch the key fob to the push start button, you might have a weak or dead key fob battery, is the vehicles battery dead?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I replaced the battery in the key fob already
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hold the fob close to the button.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

insert fob into the slot on the dash

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Didn't work. Still no power at all. No lights come on. No interior lights no dash lights no sounds. Nothing.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Is the vehicle battery dead?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It could be. But I had just gotten out of car 10 minutes previous before and it was working fine. When I got back in it to leave again nothing turned on.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Jump start it and see, the slot in the dash is the back up key in case the key fob battery goes dead. If you cant get it started by jumping it, this will probably need to be towed to a Nissan dealer, they are the only ones with the scan equipment to fix this. You may have a problem with the module that detects the key.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Dan