Derek Werner
Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist
61695331

We have a 2007 Nissan Quest minivan and we have a camshaft

Customer Question

Hello we have a 2007 Nissan Quest minivan and we have a camshaft position sensor A code p0340
When will receive this error it seems to put the transmission in limp mode we took it to the dealer they diagnosed it said it was both camshaft position sensors I have since replace both camshaft position sensors and the crankshaft position sensor to no avail any thoughts??
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I am Derek, a ASE master certified technician and i will be happy to assist you with your p0430 code.

I am looking up some information about this now i will respond shortly.

Did you replace the cam and crankshaft sensors with OEM nissan parts? Aftermarket parts even new have been known to fail.

Does the engine run normally? Or is there a loss of power, runs rough?

Is the battery new?

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 1

Possible CausesSetting Conditions

• CMP Phase sensor signal circuit is open or shorted to ground
  • Camshaft (intake) has failed
  • Low battery voltage condition present during engine cranking
  • Starter motor circuit problem during engine cranking
  • CMP Phase sensor connector is damaged (check pins for damage, moisture)
  • CMP Phase sensor has failed
  • PCM has failed

Engine Cranking Test Engine cranking for 2 seconds; and the PCM did not detect any CMP sensor signals. Engine Running Test Engine running; and the PCM did not detect any CMP signals, or it detected an abnormal CMP sensor pattern. The Bank 1 Camshaft Position (CMP) or PHASE sensor senses the retraction of camshaft (INT) to identify a particular cylinder. The Camshaft Position (PHASE) sensor senses the piston position. When the crankshaft position sensor system becomes inoperative, the camshaft position sensor (PHASE) provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals. The sensor consists of a permanent magnet and Hall IC. When engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. Due to the changing magnetic field, the voltage from the sensor changes.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay so no not Nissan replacement parts I just noticed though that the one that's difficult to get to in the back was not seated fully that may very well be the problem it does start when we get this error message it normally struggles to start and since I received it that sensor it appears to have started it's running pretty smooth what to answer some of your other questions yes brand new battery what's really weird too if I have a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and I've used it a bunch of times to check codes and reset them in this case I reset the fault codes and it stalled
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's running pretty smooth right now I might take it for a test drive

That is a great place to start. If the camshaft position sensor is not fully seated it will not send a strong signal to the ecm.

Normally a labscope is used to diagnose this kind of fault. A labscope is needed to watch the signal the cam sensor is producing.

Also it is somewhat common on this vehicle and engine for the timing chains to stretch, if the timing is off due to a worn chain it will also cause this concern.

Also a labscope can be used to check for a stretched timing chain by monitoring the camshaft signals bank 1 and 2, and the crankshaft position sensor signal, to a known good pattern.

The dealer should be able to do this test.

The dealership should be able to look at this again for you for free if you replaced the sensors yourself and the problem still is occurring. If you brought your car to my shop we would look at it again for free as you have already payed for a diagnostic. I am sure the shop cares about there reputation and will do this for you, as they should.

If you have a volt meter i can help you pin test the circuits for the cam sensor, but it will likely test good and lab scope will be needed to get a better picture of what is going on.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

If you could kindly rate my service it would be very appreciated so i can receive credit. I will continue to work with you even after rated, and get notifications about any other questions you may have. I only strive for 5 star excellent service, Thank you for being a great customer.

Thanks

Derek

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
far so good. I think we are good. I don't mind paying... other troubles include no cruise control, volume which I believe is the clock switch. The front end needs lower control arms and probably a total rebuild. We had timing chains done @100k all that said @ 147k miles is this thing worth a few grand of work ?? Is it reasonable to think we could get another 50 to 100 k out of this? Thx

Ya i would think so, at that millage it would be a lot cheaper to fix then find another vehicle. Another 100k miles is very likely to expect is proper maintenance is performed. The control arm bushings are normally all that is needed, unless something else is loose like the lower ball joints. I think it would be a good idea to get a vehicle inspection done before you spend that kind of money just to ensure nothing else major is going on. If the timing chains were already done that is good news they should still be ok. Hopefully it is just a bad connection at the sensor. If you have been performing your oil changes normally the chain should be ok.