Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1985

Car won't start no lights can/ : no power at all can't get

Customer Question

car won't start no lights can/
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: no power at all can't get hood open either
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: new battery. tried to start car no power no display electric hood switch won't work trunk lid won't open either all power.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, this is my granddaughterts car parked in my yard. she came by for a visit.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried to check to see if in park. couldn't get hood open manually to check battery or conection
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: no, has new transmission and just had oil change. I think its the battery. How can I override the hood lever and open hood to look?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

What year Nissan is this and what model/engine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2003, 6 cylinder auto trans
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

Is the battery under the hood?

Normally I would say charge the battery through the lighter socket but you say the battery is new so chances are it's charged up, just not making a good enough connection.

Let me see if there is somehow to jump 12 volts just to that hood release and see if we can get the hood open. Give me a second.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've gotten the mech. who did her car work coming. I will try to charge the battery via the lighter. thanks, Bill
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

First of al, use a voltmeter and see if you even get a voltage reading from the cigarette lighter. If not, then the battery cable end is loose or there is something else loose. If it reads low than at least it's connected, then go ahead and try to charge the battery that way and as soon as you hook up a charger, within a minute or maybe even immediately, you should be able to pop the hood, that is of course if it's an electric hood release and from what you said, that is what I gather.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 months ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.