Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

94 Altima 'meter' fuse blows. alternator doesn't charge

Customer Question

94 Altima 'meter' fuse blows. alternator doesn't charge battery. instrument panel doesn't work. new batt, new alt, new belt. No help.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Will the battery hold a charge?
Customer: charge batt every other night, holds. 19..... miles
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: alternator not charging battery. just put new batt n alt in, didn't help. fuse under dash called meter, blows instantly when replaced. seems that it also caused the instrument panel to stop working, since it all happed at the same time.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: changed batt, alt, belt, checked fuses & some wires
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: always worked fine, took in for a starter-the mechanic gave me a ignition-duh. then realized it needed a starter, so maybe they cased the prob??
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

So you actually checked the charge rate at the battery from the alternator with the vehicle running?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
12
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the alt is drawing off the batt
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

The meter fuse (fuse 25) has quite a few things in the circuit. The meter itself, shift lock, back up lamps, cruise control system.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have phone service where I live, sorry
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

The way to determine the short there would be to disconnect the meter and back up lamps then replace the fuse. If the fuse does not blow then plug the meter and the back up lamps one at a time and see which one causes them to blow, to see which one is at fault. If it blows both unplugged then it's one of the other components (cruise or shift lock). You can perform the same test with them.

Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

if the alternator is draining the battery, then the one way diode in the alternator is bad. You need a new alternator.

Did you hook the battery terminals up backwards or something when installing the new battery or alternator? I have seen that cause the diode to fail.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a new alt, no I didn't hook up backwards!! Are you sure we are talking about the same fuse. it is in the group w the ignition: turn signal (it works), meter (blows), electronic parts (don't know what these include). These are all 10A.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

I understand the battery is new, but even new or rebuilt alternators can have shorted diodes that will drain your battery quickly.

Do you have a meter? multimeter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the meter showed the alt putting out nothing. I used a friends meters.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have the meters w me today.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

well for starters if the alternator is putting out nothing, then it's either not hooked up properly or bad. That doesn't mean it's draining the battery by causing a parasitic draw. To determine that you would need to disconnect the battery negative and put one lead on the battery post and the other on the cable terminal to measure the amperage draw. If the draw is large you disconnect the alternator and see if it diassapears. That would confirm if the alternator was draining the battery. If the alternator is not charging thats different.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is there a way to get back to you?
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

Yes, simply log back into this conversation and reply.

it will notify me by email that you replied.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
okay, thank you.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

I would start by double checking your alternator though, since it happened after replacing it and the charge light in the meter is powered by the same fuse.

do make sure the ground wire is connected properly and that your not grounding off the alternator housing or something.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the fuse blew before I replaced the alt
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

also check the 75a fusible link and fuse 31 as well which provides power to the small white wire at the alternator. if they are bad either one it won't charge at all.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my fuses don't come w numbers. I'm not sure which ones you are referring to. Can you elaborate some way
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

if it shorted previously, then you need to inspect the yellow/red wire from the alternator to the SMJ, it could be shorted. If so it will blow the fuse immediately.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
SMJ?? Not good w acronyms
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

fuse 31 is the charge fuse (10a) next to the cooling fan fuse (30a) under hood

Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

super multiple junction. the big junction next to the interio fuse panel under the dash. just follow the wire from the alternator, the short is likely near the alternator itself.

Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

just remember to leave a kind rating before logging off, then use the link in your email showing i replied to come back to it. follow up is always free.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll go check these, hopefully it is a simple wire fix.
Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

sounds good, like i said just remember to leave a kind rating so the site credits me for my time with you.

follow up is free on the same question.

Expert:  Jake replied 6 months ago.

if you need further help let me know please, if not please be sure you leave me a kind rating. It's the only way the site will credit me for my time.

Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

I wanted to check back and see how you made out. If you need further assistance let me know please, if not just be sure to leave a kind rating so the site credits me for my time is all.