I have a 2015 Murano and the rear tailgate won't open. I

Customer Question

I have a 2015 Murano and the rear tailgate won't open. I have tried using the remote button, the button on the tailgate and the button from Inside.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: When I try to drive, an alarm goes off and continues until I stop.
JA: A blaring car alarm can be frustrating and (for you and your neighbors.) How many miles are on the car?
Customer: Yes, I'd like to as we can't drive without the alarm going off
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: 15,000
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: Just that I need to fix this as soon as possible. Thanks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

When the alarm is going off, are any lights flashing? How many miles are on the car?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are no lights flashing. The car runs fine but there is a constant beep. We put the seats down last night and placed a foam mattress top inside the back. We looked and it is not obstructing the tailgate in any way.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh and it has 15k miles at this time
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

did you try to open and close the hatch manually? If you open the hatch will it stay open?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When the car stops, the beeping stops. So I'm guessing it thinks the back tailgate is open, perhaps?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We are not able to open it using the button on the back itself.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The remote will not open it nor will the button on the dashboard
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

yes, it is a door warning chime. Letting you know that it see's a door open signal once it detects vehicle speed.

You can open the hatch manually though right?

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

lets not worry about the remote at the moment. I would like to know if you can open it manually. Then when you close it if you see the latch motor draw it fully closed? Cause you could have a bad latch motor if it does not draw it in once you close it.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Probably too many messages being sent and you didn't see it. Yeah, we have tried to open it using the button on the back hatch, but it won't open.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there another way to 'manually open' the hatch beyond pushing the button on the rear hatch door?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

OK, if you are inside the car, there is a small panel that comes off. It is the emergency release. It should be located in the center of the door towards the bottom. If the hatch is closed on something, it could be jammed. So lets see if we can open it manually

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, we'll take a look. We will have to crawl into the back from the back seat.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Give me a moment and we'll see what we can do
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry. We are in tropical storm Colin right now, so trying to find a dry spot to stop and do all of this's
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

No problem. Be safe