Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

My Nissan just randomly lost all engine power. The engine

Customer Question

My Nissan just randomly lost all engine power. The engine will turn over, but it when I push the gas nothing happens. It pretty much just coasts in the Drive gear. The check engine light and battery light are both on in the dash consule. Any suggestions?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 6 months ago.

Do you have access to a diagnostic code reader?

I would check the condition of the throttle body and the blade to make sure they are clean and can move, the blade should be able to moved manually from open to closed and return under sprung load to it's resting position.

When the ignition is switched on, you should be able to see the blade move as the ecu tests it's function.

The throttle body is quite common to fail on these, in the absence of any codes to work from, this would be my first inspection, symptoms would be no throttle response.

As for the battery light, this could be due to low idle and we would need to wait for the throttle to be working before we looked at this system.