C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.

I have a 2003 Nissan Sentra GXE. I have a question that was

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Nissan Sentra GXE. I have a question that was similiar to the one you answered previosly with another person..and it was about the filter being inside the fuel pump. My car is at 99,000 miles now and you said Nissan said it was good for about 100,000, so i guess im at that time to change it. It sounds like my car wants to crank over but it falls just short everytime. My question is do I really need to buy a a whole new fuel pump or is there a way to clean the filter or screen itself thats inside the pump ?
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately? What is the model of your '03 Nissan?
Customer: 99,000 my mileage has been fine
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes its stuck at my job..and i hope the guys there can fix it..they know alot more about cars then me. ive done nothing so far except researching
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that i know of the car has been really good to me
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 4 months ago.

The fuel pump assembly can be accessed from the back seat. I would replace the filter and if it does not do the trick you are likely needing a new pump. I have also included the steps to do a fuel pressure test if the fuel pressure is not within the spec the pump will need to be replaced if the filter does not cure the issue.