Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

The anti theft system shut the car down can i reset it : Son

Customer Question

The anti theft system shut the car down can i reset it
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Son tried to star try the car several times with out putting foot ob brake, now im getting a clicking sound . i believe its the theft protection
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Put the key in the little slot, and try to restart it
JA: In addition to the key, do you also have a key fob? Do you have a key code?
Customer: I have only the key fob
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What year and Model Nissan is this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2010 nissian altmia
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Is the steering wheel locked?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If the vehicle is off, and the steering wheel is not locked that is your problem. You have a steering lock control unit issue. How handy are you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well , i should say it could be, i hqd to leave the car and i looked it up online and came across this.. Last time this happen i had it towed to the dealer
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

If you are fairly handy, I can try to assist you on getting it running so you can have this issue resolved.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
fairly i am
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Here is a couple video's. It's mostly common on 2009's. But try locating the steering lock control unit and tapping it with a hammer while trying to start the car and it should fire right up. It may continue to start as well, but the problem will get worse and worse which will force you to replace the steering lock control unit.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does that cause the car not to start or anti theft to activate
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

It will cause it not to start. Only because it has not fully completed the shut down cycle. It is not the security system. It's due to a incomplete shut down.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, i will try it.. What if its not locked? Or if its locked. Doea it make a difference?
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

The steering wheel if it is locked, changes everything. So please be sure if it is locked or not.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay i have to go back to the car.. Can tell me what to do if its locked
Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Lets just check to see if it's locked or not. Then take it from there.