Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Egr malfunction. I changed the vacuum solenoid no

Customer Question

Egr malfunction. I changed the vacuum solenoid no difference. Hooked up solus scanner turned on egr solenoid truck runs great. Why ecm not operating the egr system
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's pretty much it getting a rotake off and
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: When accelerating it surges at about 1500 rpm but clears up at higherror rpm, it surges at steady acceleration but goes away under heavy acceleration
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: 141 000 yes snap solus scanner and code reader
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 6 months ago.

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My name is Richard

Check the EGR ports for restriction with carbon build up.I have seen lots of carbon build up in the EGR ports in the past before causing issues like this with an EGR code,surging and when the EGR is activated the engine does not bog down or try and stall out.If the ports are corroded they will need cleaned of carbon to correct this here and in some cases I have had to use something like a wire coat hanger or mechanics wire to dig out the carbon.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Everything is clean no carbon build up pulled all 4 plugs looked clean. Removed egr valve it's clean. Replaced egr vacuum solenoid no change. Hooked up solus scanner turned egr solenoid truck runs great.

Does the engine idle rough at all even briefly when you command on the egr valve?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pulled the 4 plugs out of the intake manifold all where clean intake was clean. Something in the ecm or something else is not giving a correct signal
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No rough idle
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just sputtering on take off and when trying to run a even speed
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Drove it this morning with scanner turning on the egr and did fine drove it 25 miles or so. As soon as I turn off egr it returns sputtering

What year,model and engine size is in this vehicle here?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2002 nissan frontier 2.4

O.k.,unfortunately my info is not listing the 2.4 liter here for testing of this valve control myself.Others here may have this info for this testing.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What is the exact code you are getting? Also if you reach in and grab the Egr diaphragm and lift up, does the truck stall?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
P1400, p0303. I can not reach the diaphragm
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tested vacuum, reads 30 psi. Changed erg solenoid and vacuum lines.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

did you check the power and ground to the solenoid? Also where is the solenoid you replaced located and where did you buy it?

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

is this a manual transmission?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Passenger side under air filter. Bought at oreilly auto parts. Automatic transmission. Yes, checked power and ground
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Solus scanner confirms harness is working can turn egr on and off with scanner.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

The solenoid should be back by the Egr area. You may have defective solenoid.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
right next to the egr
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Solenoid is brand new. Replaced last night
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Changed the inlet vacuum line, egr line and air cleaner line. Routed per diagram under hood
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Just cause it's new, does not mean it works. Here is the complete diagnostic steps to properly check the circuit and the valve.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1.pdf

I would also make sure you have NGK spark plugs in the engine for the cylinder 3 misfire code you have also.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Replaced spark plugs and wires with ngk. Will go through diagnostic steps again.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

ok. Check the hoses as well.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will let you know in a few
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is is possible to bypass the egr all together
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

No, you can't by pass it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you explain what consult II is
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

That is the name of the Nissan Scanner

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am using a Solus scanner. Do not have access to Nissan scanner. I assume the troubleshooting procedures are different
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

The steps are a bit different since the solus is a different scanner. You want to use the GST steps. ( Generic Scan Tool )

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am having trouble understanding the steps. Can you walk me through it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can manually operate egr with scanner. Turns on and off. There has to be a short in the signal to or from the ecm or the egr solenoid. Solenoid tests good, new vacuum lines spark plugs and wires. Almost at my wits end.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

This maybe easier to speak to you and help you.

Does the code clear if you clear it? Does it only return if you turn the truck off and restart it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Clears after cleared. Only turns on after driving. P1400 code only came on once after disconnecting vacuum lines and has not came on since.the p303 code comes on and engines runs rough on take off and when maintaining constant speed
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

I do know that the ports in the intake do get carboned up.

If you clear the code when the engine is running, will it come back on it's own? or only after you have turned the truck off and restarted it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only after restarting
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

If you can only get the code to return on a restart, that is a sign of a bad Ecm.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How does the phone call work.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

If you can drive the truck 20 miles with out turning it off, and the code does not return and only returns when the truck is turned off and restarted, that is a sign of a bad Ecm.

You would simply need to accept the Premium Service. Then a private box will come up to insert your phone number.

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for accepting the Premium Service. I provided you with my contact number so you can call me.