Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer

Key will not turn in ignition : 2004 Nissan Maxima is in

Customer Question

key will not turn in ignition
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: 2004 Nissan Maxima is in park. It has a wheellock
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No key wont turn
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
New battery in remote. Checked all fuses
Expert:  eric replied 4 months ago.

Ok, most of the time it is due to sticking tumblers in the ignition cylinder. Use a hammer and GENTLY tap around the ignition cylinder as you turn the key. This works like a charm on sticking tumblers.

If this works, then go to a hardware store and get some spray graphite and spray in the ignition cylinder and then work the key several times. This will prevent it from happening again

Expert:  Jay replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

If the Steering wheel is locked, the key will not be able to be turned. You would need to rock the wheel back and forth to release pressure off the steering lock for the key to turn.

Do you have any more questions on this?