sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

It's a 2004 Nissan Murano. We recently had drive line and

Customer Question

It's a 2004 Nissan Murano. We recently had drive line and transfer case replaced but it is making a loud clunk noise when turn sharp and accelerating. Any ideas?
JA: Which part of the car is the noise coming from? Would you describe the noise as frequent or constant?
Customer: It sounds like the front of the car and it only does it when you have stopped and need to turn sharp and then you push on the gas. Like in a parking lot.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Driveline and transfer case
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that the noise could be from the transfer case but it may also be a suspension issue. If the noise is cyclic and only happens when turning then a transfer case or CV joint issue would be likely but if it's a singular clunk then it could be a loose suspension component moving.

What were these parts replaced for, and where did the parts come from?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They were replaced because the transfer case was bad and broke the u joints. They were bought by my mechanic from parts store. We thought it would fix the clunk because it was happening before we replaced those parts. We also put new control arms and rear wheel hub. Within the last week have spent over $4000 on this car and still have something wrong with it.

The noise is unchanged then, correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Correct and it only happens when you have stopped to turn and then press accelerator, especially in parking lots or turning out of my driveway.

Is it a singular noise or is it cyclic and related to vehicle speed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's just one clunk.

If it's a singular noise then the issue is suspension related. A complete inspection of the steering and suspension components is going to need to be done, in some cases it may be necessary to use something such as Chassis Ears to help pinpoint the source of the noise. The noise may be coming from a control arm bushing, lower ball joint, a sway bar link, subframe bushings, or possibly from a strut mount bearing.