Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Nissan Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I'm having the same problem- last 10 days. Very loud ssing

Customer Question

I'm having the same problem- last 10 days. Very loud hissing sound that seems tpo be coming out of my vents on my 2009 Pathfinder. Have owned 5 pathfinders. never had this happen before. have an appointment to check the charge on my AC next tues. This happens whether my Ac is on or off. Even when I tried when I tried putting the heat on high
JA: HHave you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: Coolant level is good.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No Can't even find all the spark plugs........LOL Taking it to a shop to check the AC pressure and maybe get them to change the expansion Valve.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: AC still blows very cold. But not sure how long this will last if the freon is being depleted every time it has a hissy fit.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 9 months ago.

Is the air blowing out of the correct vents when the AC is on

Does it blow cold at all

Are ya still with me?

I just need that info to help narrow this down

If its blowing cold and out the correct vents then that will take me to a specific area.

Larry

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No calls. Yes cold air is coming out of the vents
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
cold air is blowing out of the vents

Thanks,

Would you like me to call you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. You can email me if you want. Use***@******.***

Unless we can talk on the phone this is the best method.

Using your info, being that the hissing comes about with the AC or heater on, i am highly suspecting it to be a leaking vacuum hose in the engine area and gets transfred thru the firewall to under the dash. Vacuum leaks are very inexpensive to repair, but you have to be able to track it down by listening to it. Like i said my bet is its a vacuum leak and when you take it in for the AC service they can inspect that easily and wont cost much at all. SImple fix, just hard for me to pinpoint online because there are a few different areas that can leak vacuum and make that hissing.

No big deal at all and they will spot it real easy.

If further questions just let me know.

Thanks for asking!

LJ

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK thanks. Will be at the shop Tues. Will let you know what they say. Have a great weekend

And you do the same.

My goal is that you are pleased with my answer(s). I strive for a positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. You can still ask me questions for free after the rating.

Let me know if the site wont let you choose a rating star please.

Larry

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks

You are welcome but were you able to rate my service. If you are having trouble doing that just let me know.

It's VERY important to me. I have worked professionally for over 35 years and am a Master Mechanic and i do this to help people save me money but i do expect just a little for my time otherwise i cant help people out like this and you would have to depend on a "willy Nilly" answer from some site that does not have real pros online. I am a Vietnam veteran that helps Vets by getting there car fixed for next to nothing and that is my goal in life....to help as many people as i can before i die of cancer from chemicals during the war. I'm not giving you a sob story, just letting you know that i donate any money i make here online to My car charity to help the unfortunate. God Bless.

Larry