Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

I have a 03 xterra with a p0305 and p0328. I verified spark

Customer Question

i have a 03 xterra with a p0305 and p0328. I verified spark and replaced the fuel injector. All plugs, wires, cap, and rotor have been replaced. Vehicle has hard start and I don't have a fuel pressure gauge. Are there any common problems with this vehicle?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

HI there,

If the truck runs rough at idle, check it for an intake manifold leak on or near #5. Take some carb cleaner and spray it around the intake while the engine is running. If the idle smooths out or speeds up, then you have an intake leak.

If that's good, then with all you have done so far, I would do a compression check. It's possible there is a fuel issue causing the long crank, but it's not going to cause this problem with a single cylinder misfire. So, I would try and resolve that first. As for the knock sensor code, if the intake is leaking, then you could replace it, otherwise, don't worry to much about it. It won't cause the check engine light to come on and really won't affect the engine.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry but I forgot to mention I performed a leak down test also with good results. I also checked for vacuum leaks with no results.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Well, in that case I guess about the only other thing you could do is put a noid light on the injector and make sure it's firing like it should. Otherwise you have a perfect engine with a misfire which really doesn't make much sense. Usually don't see a single cylinder misfire like this from ignition components that have been replaced.

Can you confirm which cylinder is #5 for me please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cyl 5 is on the right side in the rear. I used a stethoscope to hear the injector pulsing.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 months ago.

Ok, I am going to open this back up for the other experts. The most common issue would be with the intake, if that's not the issue and the leak down didn't provide any indications of the problem, not sure what to do next on it. I had to ask about the cylinder id just in case, but you do have the right one.

Please don't reply or it will lock the question right back to me and the others won't be able to view it.

Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What brand spark plugs did you install in the truck?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was the injector. The parts house sent me an injector or a N/A vs the S/C I have. Thanks a lot parts house. Cost me 26 bucks. Thanks for all your guys's insight.
Expert:  Jay replied 6 months ago.

Glad you found the problem. Injectors are extremely rare.

Thanks Jay!