JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field uaw union member
6149662

Driving on the interstate at 70 mph and all of a sudden RPMs

Customer Question

Driving on the interstate at 70 mph and all of a sudden RPMs rid of and there is no response from the gas pedal.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once I pulled to the side of the road the car idles normally but no response from the gas pedal...RPMs "stutter" but can will not move!
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 1 year ago.

is the engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have you scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Happened on the interstate and wrecker pulled home. Don't have a scanner... Idles normally, no leaks no odd soinds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just doesn't respond when you push the gas pedal... Rpm "stutters" around 1 but doesn't go over that at all

likely failed throttle body but diagnostic codes would be very helpful..do you have access to another car so you can purchase a basic code reader?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to get one today

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only code is P2A00
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No indication of anything else... Suggestions?

4 or 6 cyl?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4

does your scan tool have live sensor data?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No don't think so... This is what it shows

you will need a good scan tool that can monitor throttle ...sounds like a failed throttle body to me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be advisable to clean it or simply replace?

cleaning will do no good... I would verify with a good scan tool... but its generally gas peal assembly or throttle body failure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you