rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 1979 Datsun 620 pickup truck. Can't get a spark to

Customer Question

I have a 1979 Datsun 620 pickup truck. Can't get a spark to the distributor. I replaced lots pf parts: spark plugs and wires, distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil and even ignition switch. What could be the problem?
JA: Has the car been stalling out? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 140,000. It wasn't stalling before. Just can't get it started.
JA: What is the model of your '79 Nissan?
Customer: it is a 620 pick up truck
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried without success.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: that's about all the info I have
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary.

The ignitor will cause a no spark condition. Yours can be in the distributor or on the firewall. No data available to see, but any car parts store can tell you exactly where it is.

Thanks, Ron