Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

I have a 2003 Nissan 350z. Bose factory system no sound and

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Nissan 350z. Bose factory system no sound and radio works perfect. Cd makes sound but extremely distorted and low volume.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any suggestions???
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Hey there, thanks for the question.

If you have no sound and you have the amp on signal from the radio, then it's one of 2 things here. Either the radio is bad or the amp is bad.

Generally when the amp is bad you get no sound whatsoever, regardless if it's on radio or CD. This one might actually be the radio instead the more common amp failure.

did you check the speaker signals leaving the radio with a meter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I did not check that. How should I go about that? I own a Hvac company so I have a meter.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I took the nuts off and lifted the amp, once I went to mount it back in place every time it touches the car studs to mount it.. It sparks.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It also seems like the yellow wire going to the amp may have a connection to ground
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
Let me check the diagram on this year model. Be back in a sec.
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I am on my phone so it's hard to upload images here is a diagram of the speaker wires from the front speakers to the AMp.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay and what should I do with that?
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.
Test for power and ground at the side of the wires you can see the wire colors above the terminal number.The green and yellow stripe wire at the amp is the amp on signal and should have 12 V from the radio
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not with the vehicle now but as soon as I am I'll start that process and get back with you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I check for voltage DC. I have 12 V at the big yellow wire to the big black wire on the one plug . On the opposite plug I have 12 volts from the green and yellow small striped wire to ground.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tested the small solid green wire to the small solid red wire thinking that is a speaker wire and I have no voltage.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Before doing this I unbolted the amp and it's sparks as you're unbolting it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tested from the solid red small wire to ground I have 7.7 Volts. I did the same thing with the small solid green and also have 7.7 Volts
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay so I piped in a cd and have loud sound coming out only on Cd but it's distorted. You can understand some of the words but barely. No sound at all on radio
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Hey there, sorry for the delay over the weekend.

as long as the amp is plugged in, it's not really any surprise to see a spark when the amp is taken in and out as the vehicle is body grounded.

The fact the the green/yellow wire has 12v and you get some sound just distorted tells me the amp on signal is there and the amp is powered on.

You speaker reading is fine, you need to disconnect the connector on the stereo and check continuity to ground on all speaker wires. If you get a ground that that speaker is grounding and causing the issue. If none are grounding and the CD volume is still distorted then we know it's not the antennae connection because the CD's would still be crisp and clear and since you getting voltage readings across the speaker wires to the amp then we can assume the amp is at fault.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you're saying remove the head unit and unhook the plugs on the back? Then check each wire to
Ground? Can I check each wire to ground by unhooking the plug from the amp? Don't the speaker wires feed directly off the amp? Also just FYI this is the Touring model and does not have navigation .
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Yes, exactly you can check from the amplifier, which would be easier when checking for them going to ground.