Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

My 06 Nissan Xterra will not start. The car went all the way

Customer Question

My 06 Nissan Xterra will not start. The car went all the way dead. After charging the battery the battery checks fine with 700 cranking amps. The light come on but the car won't start. It's not starter or fuses. We had a radio installed but unhooked it to make sure that wasn't the problem. The security light blinks. The light come on but when you turn the key to start it makes a screeching noise. Nothing happens. I got an after market fob and programmed it but that was over a week ago and cat ran fine. We are lost.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: We have it at a mechanic but yes
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: I don't think so. We tried to reprogram key but that didn't work either.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will try to assist you

you mentioned security light blinking

1- If the light is blinking while key in ignition or while you trying to start it that means security alarm is on ,no power to starter and no fuel pump operation .

2- If that is the case most likely the dead battery triggered the alarm ,we can try to reset it ,as long as no issue with alarm components

3- You also mentioned a screeching sound noise , that worries me , Because if the ignition switch is bad , it will also trigger the alarm ? i will need more info from you on that

4- The after market key fob is a separate keyless Fob is for the lock / unlock feature correct , you have a separate key for ignition correct ,Not a key/fob into one ?

Security light should blink for few seconds and Go Out ( OFF) completely after you insert the key in ignition switch , If not the Alarm is ON causing the No crank Condition

please let me know so I can further assist you

Thank you

Chad ( aka Customer)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The security light continues to blink after key is put in and turned.
The screeching noise is probably nothing I can upload video for you to hear. Screeching is probably not the best word.
The fob is separate from the key. It unlocks and locks the door.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried to upload video of noise but it won't let me. Think of the beep it makes when you put the key in but instead of it beeping on and off its a long solid beep

are you with car now ?

have you checked fuses ?

how did u charge battery on the car or off the car when u connected your charger >

Do you have second key to vehicle

is the after market radio unplugged now

is this what you see blinking or very similar ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not with car. All fuses have been check. The radio has been unplugged.
The light blinking is what you attached. The mechanic looking at it thinks it's security. Do you have directions for reset? Do you think that's the problem?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not have a key but someone is coming today to make sure it's not the key that's unfolded itself.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't have an extra key
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have the original.
Hi ,you can try disconnecting battery for 10 min and reconnecting it and try to start
In case security alarm is stuck on ,so that might reset it .Yes I asked about extra keys in case the key you have has a weak RF signal ,so the security module not recognizing the key and you have a no start condition .
Send me a picture of the security light ,you saying is blinking ,so I can confirm we taking about same thing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The battery was disconnected over 10 minutes when we tested battery. The light you are discussing is the the light blinking on and off red. It's a car with a key in the middle. I'm not with car but those two things are checked.

yes it is , it should be off not blinking when key is inserted

if it does not turn off that means ant antitheft security is triggered .

it could be several reason for that ,

key , module , antenna , igntion switch , etc , usually we try to scan and retrieve fault codes from module to pin point what is the causing that .

let me know if you need more infor , iave the diagrams , wiring , r& r procedures if u need any of that for the vehicle .

A positive rating is much appreciated

This post will stay open for you to come back and ask me any follow up questions you may have on this issue

Thank You

Chad ( aka jhook13980)