Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Car will not start 2009 Altima...when pressing brakes

Customer Question

Car will not start 2009 Altima...when pressing brakes everything powers off
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I purchased a new battery thinking it was the problem. A couple days ago when I went to crank it nothing happened I thought it was a dead key so I left it in the car to charge I went back car started but inside lights were dim and acceleration was poor
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes if I'm able
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: A new battery and pulling out brake switch and putting it back in
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: Without pressing brakes dash lights up goes to ACC mode and ON mode soon as I press the brakes it blacks out
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will try to assist you

have you had the alternator(charging system) checked , are you getting 14V plus when a voltmeter is hooked up to battery and car running ?

how many miles on vehicle ?

when you unplugged the brake switch , did act normal after that , other brake light came on ?

do you have a check engine light on ?

and if u dod did you scan for any fault codes ?

Thanks