Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Security light is on will crank and run min then shuts

Customer Question

security light is on will crank and run for 5 min then shuts off power.. let set for 2 min resets then drivre for 5 more min then shuts off..had similar prob with 98 Honda accord and it was electric switch behind key switch.. does Nissan have any such animal?
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: how do you reset secutity system.. had unhooked battery cable to clear obd codes and hooked back up..
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: what I just mentioned..nothing else.. never had or worked on a Nissan before
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ignition switch also feels excessively worn.. could this have any effect?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
red light on security stays on solid.. didn't do that the last time I drove..also when car shut off and then cranked back after 2 min period battery light on dash was also on
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so you will want to rate me with EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

Sorry about the long delay, do you still need help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I still need help.. can you read my questions and provide an answer or technical advice please

Can I get the year, make, and model?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2000 Nissan altima gxe

Thanks, ***** ***** it shuts off then no power?

Nothing has power, including the radio and headlights?

Customer: replied 4 months ago. power to anything. .acts like you unhooked battery cable..then rwo min later power back on crank and run..also battery light then comes on
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a 98 honda accord that was cutting off like this..let set it would start back up.. ended up being some kind of switch combined with key switch that was bsd..part of security system on that car also..that's why I was asking about that issue

Since you lose all power to everything. Pretty confident we can rule out the ignition switch and theft system. The headlights for example do not go through the ignition switch and the theft system prevents starting but does not effect the power. SO we need to see what has power and what does not, during this 2 minute period. Do fuses 32 and 33 under the dash have power when the car shuts down and the headlights will not even work?

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In further is still doing the same thing but I was able to see the headlights were still on when the car cutoff..the cat was running fine before the security light came on and then these others things started are we going to reset the security system to see if there is a problem or is there an answer to my switch behind the ignition question..where are we at?

Thanks for the new details. Do you own a a scan tool to see which codes are stored?

During this 2 minute downtime will the radio work?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Don't have a scan tool and radio does not work during downtime

I keep asking about what has power and what does not because I am trying to find a circuit to back trace and determine why its down if you were wondering.

Okay you start the car, it runs 5 minutes, it just shuts off, the key is still on. Under the passenger side of the dash does fuse 9 retain power on both test points on the top of the fuse, how about fuse 8 under the drivers side of the dash?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Why do we keep avoiding the security light questions? None of this starting happening until the security light came on and started blinking..that's why I keep mentioning it ..that's when the car started shutting down intermittently and the light is still on..for my own sanity tell me how to reset the security or do I have to take it to dealer??

You do not have a diagnostic tool (Honda PGM Tester) to diagnose the security light and the security light can not stop power to most of the car. The security system prevents starting the vehicle, it should not shut the vehicle off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok what about the worn ignition switch..when you turn the key you can barely feel the different stages it goes thru

So do you want to do electrical tests on the ignition switch?

You tell me how you want to diagnose this issue and that is what I will do.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My resources are very limited as well as my experience with nissans..maybe the dealer is the way to go..thanks i' m out

Sorry you were not able to check the power on the 2 fuses I needed you to check. Sorry you paid for help but have decided to leave without getting the help due to lack of tools or skills. Best of luck