sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

The locking mechanism on the gate of my 2007 murano is stuck

Customer Question

the locking mechanism on the gate of my 2007 murano is stuck in the closed/locked position and im unable to release it . I have my gate strapped down because it won't shut properly. please help. i live in a bad area and it's so easy to see its not closed all the way.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. or wait til tomorrow when i can find someone
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: A screwdriver. attempted to pry it open. wont budge. tried unlocking using the key remote will attempting to pry it with a screwdriver
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: The mechanism is not just in the locked position. It's closed up beyond the actual locking position. It clicked twice to get to that point. It's stuck really good. i dont wanna risk damaging it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the latch pawl is in the closed position and won't move when prying it outward at the same time you're pressing the release then odds are the latch has failed.

Do you hear any noise from the latch when pressing the release?