Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Just rebuilt my 01 pathfinder 3.5 it tries to start but wont

Customer Question

hello just rebuilt my 01 pathfinder 3.5 it tries to start but wont stay running timing checks all good compression all cylinders new cam and crank sensors new coils new injectors I'm lost
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so you will want to rate me with EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

Will it start and remaining running using starting fluid?

Have you tried it at part or full open throttle?

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
fuel pressure is good and it will try to run with the throttle closed but just for a few seconds and wont even start open at all acts like its flooded

Are you sure all injectors are plugged up in he correct order and the plug wires are routed correct?

What was the compression on all cylinders?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
155 average and yes
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
oil pressure good replaced mass air flow all 3 cam sensors both crank sensors
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
pulled timing cover to verify all good what about the vvt system?? would that cause this issue

I would expect the VVT to cause it to run rough not run and stall.

Can you monitor the spark on one cylinder and the injector pulse on the same cylinder to see if either is dropping out prior to stalling?

Is the air filter clean?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no scope and clean

You can monitor these manually with your eyes or spark tester and a noid light.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
give me 5

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
good strong spark entire time and no change in pulse looked good
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
by the way tested 3 cylinders all the same

So your not losing spark, and the fuel injectors kept pulsing and the fuel pressure remains good. Throttle does not help and its getting clean air.

That only leaves the computer to blame from my view from this end.

At the top of your screen you will see 1-5 stars and a green submit button. You have already paid all the fees, now its time to rate the answer. Rating pays me from your deposit. I am only paid through not by the website if you rate me. Don't worry about a follow up later if needed, they are free and I welcome them. Ask me about a phone call if you prefer that service.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is acting like when the security system is tripped (or in alarm) it will try to run when cranking until u let off the only difference is it will try to run a little longer and its not in alarm I will try a ecm tomorrow

Keep in touch if needed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks Chris will do

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris