Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  41 years expierence on all cars and trucks to 2014
3506196

2005 Nissan Altima. Temp about 80deg outside. AC worked last

Customer Question

Hi. 2005 Nissan Altima. Temp about 80deg outside. AC worked last week but not today. Just for giggles, I took pressure readings. 0 on low side 100 high side. Leak? Thought freon may be low. couldn't find any dye at all. Checked 20a fuse-OK. Compressor seems to kick on and off when disconnected from the 3 conductor pressure switch near the radiator. Went to add a little, as soon as I cracked the valve on new R134, low jumped to 175
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I immediately closed the valve and killed the R134. Purged the line and the low side read zero again. Clogged? Very confused.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I immediately closed the valve and killed the R134. Purged the manifold gage lines and the low side read zero again. Clogged? Very confused.
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 1 year ago.
good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist with the ac off. pressures should be the same. if they are not, such as yours, you have a restriction. you ned a expansion valve and dryer to start. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I immediately closed the valve and killed the R134. Purged the manifold gage lines and the low side read zero again. Clogged? Very confused. Will check pressures in engine off condition seeking equalized pressures and report back in about 2min
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked in engine off (~40min) Read 3psi low and 25psi high. Is that close enough?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The original pressures I lead with were with the engine on. Checked in engine off condition (~40min). Read 3psi low and 25psi high. Is that close enough?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
no, you still need expansion valve and dryer at a minimum. Roy
I am here answering questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where can I find the expansion valve?
any parts store will carry it. you need to replace the dryer as well since the system is open Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I figured a parts store would carry them. I'm asking where in the car I can find it?
thats not what you posted. let me see if I can get a picture for you
ok, back at the firewall covered by a rubber gromet. I attached a picture Roy
please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy