sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

95 pathfinder xe replaced the starter now car wont start.

Customer Question

95 pathfinder xe
replaced the starter now car wont start. the starter makes no noise but ther is a clicking noise where fuse box is located
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

Was it starting before the starter was replaced?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
they took off plug that connects to battery cable and solder the connection end

I see, thanks. Do you know what the voltage is at the starter terminals when the key is turned?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no i do not. please bare with me i am a girl and i don't know correct terminology. i keep getting different answers. some said it could be ignition switch since where i put the key is loose, something about the blue fuse being burnt out. all i know is my car has been down 4 days i need help
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please i dont have enough on my card to call but my car is out on street and if i dont move it they will tow it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i am requesting a different tech i need an right now

Sure thing but they may need to have you check some things also, unless you want a guess, thanks

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that can cause a no start conition ranging from the battery, cables and connections, the starter relay, blown fuses, wiring issues, the transmission range sensor, or ignition switch.

What was the reason for replacing the starter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well its the distributor. Its not installed right, When the person took it out im assuming he didnt mark it. I didnt know that or else i would have had him do that. When reinstalling it is it best to replace the wire thing coming out of it? I have been without my car for a week and im going crazy. Thank you!

I thought the starter did not engage now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
well someone tested the starter and it has power, he told us that it wont engage because the distributor isnt installed correctly. Im just a girl i no nothing about this kind of stuff

The distributor couldn't prevent the starter from engaging, the distributor is what produces spark and sends it to the spark plugs.

You get no noise from the starter, the engine does not turn?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When i turn the key on, nothing. the starter doesnt make a clicking noise like my old one. i do hear a light clicking noise comimg from the fuse box under the dash. I can send you pic's of the wires going into battery cables. they look pretty bad.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do have headlights, dash lights and radio. I also just put a new battery this past week

You can upload pictures using the paperclip icon in the toolbar and I'll take a look.