Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

The indicator on the dash reads "D" . with the e brake

Customer Question

The indicator on the dash reads "D" for drive. with the e brake released the car rolls. the car will not start. the indicator on the dash will not change from d when shifted. this is auto transmission.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: WHAT CODE?
JA: It's a tool that mechanics use to help diagnose what's wrong with a car. Not to worry - the mechanic will know how to find that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself? It's a tool that mechanics use to help diagnose what's wrong with a car. Not to worry - the mechanic will know how to find that out.
Customer: yES
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: I think the car thinks it is in drive therfore it won't start
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 7 months ago.
hey there, thanks for the question. If the car is rolling forward then it's not in PARK. It very well may be stuck in drive if the shift linkage came disconnected when you went to park. If that's the case it WILL NO START until its in either neutral or park, because the park neutral position switch will prevent the starter relay from energizing. What vehicle is this? I know its a nissan, but what model and year?