Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

Trying to find the fuel pump relay in my 87 nissan 200sx.

Customer Question

Trying to find the fuel pump relay in my 87 nissan 200sx. Fuel pump doesnt turn on when the key is turned in the ignition.
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have replaced the fuel pump already only way i can get it to kick on is to run a wire from the ground to metal in the trunk.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes i a mecanic professionaly but this just has me stumped
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replacing the fuel pump. Buying the relay but i cant find it on all data or google
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

if you can make the pump run by adding a ground wire then its not going to be a power supply / relay issue

I'd suggest to chase the fuel pump harness back into the car to try and locate the the lack of ground connection

alternatively wire in a permanent ground wire to the fuel pump so it can still be switched by the key

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If i add the wire to ground it it will constantly run even with no key in it, so thats isnt really practical unless i want to have to keep opening and closing the trunk. So trace the wire back to the ground connection? If that was the case why does the fuel pump keep running when i ground it and there is no key in the ignition? Sorry if im a little blunt, towing the car arose the county on a 2 wheel dolie and the alinement is out and been having to buy tires every day. Really need to be able to drive it onto a alinement rack.
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

OK

thanks for the extra info

this is sounding like a short on the fuel pump wiring harness then , as for it to run with no ignition then it must be pulling power from another source

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you