chrlsman
chrlsman, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
29613880

I HAVE 2007,NISSAN XTERRA..NO LOW BEAM BOTH SIDES WITH NO

Customer Question

I HAVE 2007,NISSAN XTERRA..NO LOW BEAM BOTH SIDES WITH NO 12VOLTS AT HEADLIGHT SOCKET. ,ALL OTHER HIGH BEAM,FOG RUNNING LIGHTS GOOD.HAVE 12V AT FUSE SWAPPED LOW BEAM RELAY WITH KNOWN GOOD STILL NO LOW BEAM...
Category: Nissan
Expert:  chrlsman replied 6 months ago.
hi there. My name is ***** ***** I am one of the techs here. The most likely issue will be a faulty headlamp switch, but the other possibilities are the Intelligent Power Distribution Module or the wiring. See the diagrams listed below. I have highlighted the circuits you need to check. Start with the fuses, then check for continuity of the wires. Being the high beams work, you know you have good grounds. If all checks good, I would replace the headlamp switch.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i thought i may have told you i had 12v at the fuses ....BCM[body control module]--where is that located?AND I 'D LIKE TO KNOW WHERE THERE BE 12V AT THE FUSES ONLY WITH THE HEADLIGHTS ON OR IS THAT VOLTAGE SITTING THERE ALL THE TIME , TILL I TURN THEM ON WITH THE HEADLAMP SWITCH[ON THE COLUMN CORRECT..AND IF IT IS THE SWITCH ON THE COLUMN,HOW HARD IS THAT TO REMOVE/REPLACE WITH ANOTHER..THANKS.
Expert:  chrlsman replied 6 months ago.
OK, so you have power at the fuses that I circled, but not at the socket? If that is the case, you have a wiring issue for sure. There is nothing in-between. You will need to trace the wires from the fuses to the bulb and repair the broken piece. If no broken wire if found, you will need to cut the socket and replace it with a new pigtail. - Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
CHRISMAN,YOU'RE TELLING ME I HAVE A WIRING ISSUE...BUT REMEMBER THIS NO-LOW-BEAM AFFECTS BOTH R AND L HEADLIGHTS...SO THERE HAS TO BE A COMMON FACTOR FOR THEM BOTH NOT TO WORK...NOT TWO BROKEN WIRES--- SEEMS UNUSUAL...I WILL DO A LITTLE MORE CHECKING,BUT I FEEL LIKE I DID EARLIER---STILL SCRATCHING MY HEAD...MAKES NO SENSE.
Expert:  chrlsman replied 6 months ago.
I completely understand your confusion. However, if you are positive you have 12V at fuses 40 and 41, but not at the bulb connectors, then we have a problem in between. Double check voltage at the fuses and also at terminals 52 and 54 of the IPDM.